I was challenged to make a “Summer Bucket List” – things that I wanted to do before the summer was over.
First on the list:
1) Stand up on a paddleboard. I’ve gone out a few times over the past couple of years, but have been too scared to stand up.. worried about falling in. So I’ve knelt the whole time. I don’t recommend doing so….. hard on the knees.
2) Spend at least ten nights off Coast before September 15th… This is to force me to take some time off.
3) Run. I miss running.. I haven’t gone for any kind of run since I broke my ankle in 2009. That’s a long time.
and just to ‘force’ the issue…
4) Register for a 5km run
5) Register for the BMO April Fools’ Run… this is a half-marathon between Gibsons and Sechelt. It’s held the first Sunday in April.. Last (and first) time I did it was in 2007. Time to start training!
6) Find Five heart-shaped rocks. As of July 13, I’ve found twelve. The first day I sat on the beach, I found five… in under twenty minutes..
7) Wear a dress or skirt once a week. Too many times, I get dressed in the morning and then change because I “don’t like the way it looks”. I need to challenge myself out of my comfort zone. It’s a tough battle. See The Elephant in My Head
For the kid in me… and for my kids too..
8) Go to the Zoo. I haven’t been to a Zoo in years. My kids haven’t been to one in a long time either, plus one of my cousins is getting married at the Calgary Zoo later this month. I’m not able to make it to the wedding, but I can go to the Zoo in her honour.
9) Go to Playland
10) Go to the PNE. I would love to walk around the displays and just take a look around.
In September of last year, I realized that I had not gone swimming ONCE during the entire summer.
Hence, the next four items:
11) Swim in six different lakes in July
12) swim in six different lakes in August
13) Swim in the ocean five times in July
14) Swim in the ocean five times in August
(the last two will likely happen when I try to stand up on the paddleboard)
15) Hike the Skookumchuck. I have lived on the Sunshine Coast for 20 years (officially on September 13th, 2014) and have yet to see the rapids. I’ve heard them, but have not gone far enough to see them..(my kids were much smaller, and did not want to go any further on the trail. We were close to the end of the trail. So very close.)
16) Write a short story. I love to write. Before I had kids, I would write short stories, poetry, song lyrics…. you name it. Now I barely find the time to read, let alone write. Am I any good? Does it really matter – as long as I do it!
17) Listen to a busker play for fifteen minutes and give them $20.. There are very talented musicians all around us and I never take the time to stop and listen…or give them a few cents.
And here’s a few that didn’t make the original list because they came up by surprise, but are now complete!
18) Jump off the rocks at Katherine Lake.. I have the bruises (and sore body – I belly-flopped) to prove it!
19) Attend the Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts – technically, haven’t attended yet, but I have purchased my Sunday Pass!! I’m really excited to be going; it’s my first time, plus Grant Lawrence is one of the featured authors on that day! The Festival is August 14-17 .. more info at http://www.writersfestival.ca
20) Spend some time with my bestie Vicky and her family… they were able to take some days and come out for a visit. We had such a great time! now to just spend some time with my other besties.. (you know who you are)
As I type these, I realize that there are so many other things that I’d like to do this summer..
21) Random acts of kindness… we all need more of these. I think one a day is a good start..
22) Attend a farmer’s market at least five times over the summer.. So many of our local farmers, producers and artisans depend on these events to help grow their business. Buy Local!
23) Spend more time doing what my daughters want to do. ‘Nuff said..
24) Spend more time with my husband..
25) Listen to music more often… and different types. I’ve had everything from John Lennon to Blake Shelton to Paul Simon to Eminem playing tonight. Eclectic.
So there’s my list (before I keep adding to it). What would you put on yours?